CHICAGO (Jan. 26, 2023) – After a slender loss to Serbia in its first match of 2023, the U.S. Males’s Nationwide Workforce will wrap its first coaching camp of the 2026 FIFA World Cup cycle with a recreation in opposition to South American energy Colombia on Saturday, Jan. 28. Eight gamers earned their first caps in opposition to Serbia, whereas 5 extra will search their first senior worldwide appearances in opposition to a Colombia aspect wanting to kick off the brand new cycle after narrowly lacking the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Saturday’s kickoff of USA-Colombia from Dignity Well being Sports activities Park in Carson, Calif. is about for 7:30 p.m. ET on TNT, Telemundo, Peacock and the Telemundo App.
USMNT ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB/COUNTRY; CAPS/GOALS) – JANUARY CAMP
GOALKEEPERS (3): Roman Celentano (FC Cincinnati; 0/0), Sean Johnson (Toronto FC/CAN; 10/0), Gaga Slonina (Chelsea/ENG; 1/0)
DEFENDERS (8): Jonathan Gómez (Actual Sociedad/ESP; 2/0), Julian Gressel (Vancouver Whitecaps/CAN; 1/0), DeJuan Jones (New England Revolution; 1/0), Aaron Lengthy (LAFC; 30/3), Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy; 1/0), Sam Rogers (Rosenborg/NOR; 0/0), John Tolkin (New York Purple Bulls; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 38/3)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Paxten Aaronson (Eintracht Frankfurt/GER; 0/0), Kellyn Acosta (LAFC; 56/2), Aidan Morris (Columbus Crew; 1/0), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; 2/0), Alan Soñora (Unattached; 1/0), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; 5/0)
FORWARDS (7): Paul Arriola (FC Dallas; 49/10), Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes; 2/0), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 16/7), Matthew Hoppe (Middlesbrough/ENG; 7/1), Emmanuel Sabbi (Odense/DEN; 0/0), Brandon Vazquez (FC Cincinnati; 1/1), Alejandro Zendejas (Membership America/MEX; 1/0)
With the match dates falling exterior of the designated worldwide calendar, golf equipment are usually not required to launch gamers for nationwide workforce responsibility. The January camp sometimes consists largely of U.S.-based gamers who are usually not in season.
USA SCHEDULE – JANUARY CAMP
TOUGH LOSS TO OPEN 2023
Within the USA’s opening match of the brand new yr, a remarkably inexperienced line-up fought laborious however finally couldn’t overcome Serbia within the USMNT’s first match at LAFC’s BMO Stadium. Debutant ahead Brendan Vazquez opened the scoring within the twenty ninth minute, flicking a header off a superbly served cross from proper again Julian Gressel. Younger goalkeeper Gaga Slonina made a variety of standout saves within the first half, however Serbia was in a position to equalize on a free kick from Luka Ilić simply earlier than the half. A lapse in focus discovered Serbia the eventual game-winner moments into the second half, and whereas the younger People responded properly, led by a robust effort from ahead Cade Cowell, they have been unable to seek out one other purpose.
FIRST CAPS APLENTY
Eight gamers made their USMNT debuts on Wednesday evening in opposition to Serbia: goalkeeper Gaga Slonina, defenders Julian Gressel, DeJuan Jones and Jalen Neal, midfielders Aidan Morris and Alan Soñora plus forwards Brandon Vázquez and Alex Zendejas. The eight first caps have been essentially the most for the U.S. in a single match since a 2-0 win in opposition to Canada on Sept. 3, 1992. All however Jones began the match, and the seven debutants within the beginning XI have been the USA’s most since a 1-0 loss to Guatemala on Jan. 10, 1988.
SLONINA MAKES HISTORY
Together with his begin in opposition to Serbia, Gaga Slonina grew to become the youngest goalkeeper to play for the USMNT at 18 years, 255 days. Slonina, who joined Chelsea within the English Premier League this winter from the Chicago Hearth, put in a strong shift in opposition to Serbia, highlighted by a variety of standout saves within the first half. Within the thirty first minute, he made a spotlight reel cease of a point-blank shot after which slapped away the spinning ball that was sure for purpose.
THE ROAD TO A WORLD CUP ROSTER IS PAVED THROUGH JANUARY CAMP
Courting again to 1999, 30 gamers who’ve debuted or earned their second cap in the course of the USMNT’s first camp of a calendar yr have gone on to make a FIFA World Cup roster From the USA’s squad at Qatar 2022, 9 gamers earned their first or second cap throughout a January camp match, together with captain Tyler Adams, ahead Brenden Aaronson, defenders Walker Zimmerman and Tim Ream and beginning goalkeeper Matt Turner. That determine additionally consists of 5 members of the 100-cap membership: Jozy Altidore, DaMarcus Beasley, Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan.
The USMNT’s January coaching camp roster is historically crammed with rising abilities getting their first seems to be with the senior workforce and this yr’s squad is not any totally different. Whereas eight of the 13 gamers who entered camp with out a USMNT look earned their first caps in opposition to Serbia, 5 extra will likely be trying to make their worldwide debuts on Saturday evening: goalkeeper Romeo Celentano, defenders Sam Rogers and John Tolkin, midfielder Paxten Aaronson and ahead Emmanuel Sabbi.
The younger gamers include loads of expertise within the U.S. Males’s Youth Nationwide Groups program. Final summer time, Aaronson, Cade Cowell and Jalen Neal helped lead the USA to a third-straight Concacaf U-20 Championship, a berth to the Olympics for the primary time since Beijing 2008 and a spot on this summer time’s FIFA U-20 World Cup. First-time call-ups Vazquez and Zendejas represented the USA on the 2015 U-17 World Cup, whereas Sabbi was part of the U.S. workforce on the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
WORLD CUP VETERANS RETURN
Along with the younger expertise getting a possibility this month, 5 gamers return from the USMNT’s profitable run on the World Cup — goalkeeper Sean Johnson, defenders Zimmerman and Aaron Lengthy, midfielder Kellyn Acosta and ahead Jesús Ferreira. Zimmerman performed a key position on the U.S. again line, showing in each match and making a vital purpose line clearance late within the USMNT’s knockout round-clinching victory in opposition to Iran. Acosta made two substitute appearances in Qatar and Ferreira began within the Spherical of 16 match in opposition to Netherlands.
Anthony Hudson is at the moment serving as USMNT head coach, whereas fellow World Cup assistant B.J. Callaghan and Below-20 Males’s Youth Nationwide Workforce head coach Mikey Varas will function assistant coaches amid U.S. Soccer’s full assessment of the USMNT program following the conclusion of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Up to now, the customary assessment of the previous 4 years of the whole program following a World Cup would start in the summertime, properly forward of any year-end contract expiration. The distinctive November-December timing of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar considerably lowered the period of time that the Federation must conduct a correct evaluation previous to the tip of the pinnacle coach’s contract.
USA ROSTER NOTES
- Seven of the USA starters vs. Serbia have been twin nationals: Cowell, Gómez, Vazquez and Zendejas (USA & Mexico); Gressel (USA & Germany), Soñora (USA & Argentina), Slonina (USA & Poland).
- At 29 years, 40 days, Gressel grew to become the oldest participant to earn his first USMNT cap since Chris Pontius did so at 29 years, 262 days in opposition to Serbia in January 2017.
- Cade Cowell, Jonathan Gómez and Paxton Pomykal all earned their first profession begins of their second general caps in opposition to Serbia.
- Following his substitute look in opposition to Serbia, ahead Paul Arriola could possibly be poised to earn his 50th cap for the USMNT on Saturday in opposition to Colombia. He would develop into the 60th participant to hit the half century mark for the USMNT.
- Midfielder Eryk Williamson changed Alan Soñora within the 57th minute to earn his first cap since getting back from a torn ACL suffered simply weeks after his final USMNT look within the Concacaf Gold Cup Closing vs. Mexico on Aug. 1, 2021.
- 4 of the 5 World Cup veterans in camp made their USMNT debuts in matches related to January camp: Sean Johnson (Jan. 22, 2011 vs. Chile), Kellyn Acosta (Jan. 31, 2016 vs. Iceland), Walker Zimmerman (Feb. 3, 2017 vs. Jamaica) and Jesús Ferreira (Feb. 1, 2020 vs. Costa Rica).
- Eight gamers are age-eligible for the 2024 Summer season Olympics: Matthew Hoppe and Aidan Morris (21); John Tolkin (20); Paxten Aaronson, Cade Cowell, Jonathan Gómez, and Jalen Neal (19); Gaga Slonina (18).
- 5 gamers are from Southern California: Paul Arriola (Chula Vista), Matthew Hoppe (Yorba Linda), Aaron Lengthy (Oak Hills), Jalen Neal (Lakewood) and Brandon Vazquez (San Diego).
- Ought to Paxten seem in both match, the Aaronsons would develop into the eighth set of brothers to symbolize the USMNT: John and Pedro DeBrito; Otto and Rolf Decker; Angelo and Paul DiBernardo; Charlie and Henry McCully; George and Louie Nanchoff; Steve and Ken Snow; Archie and Tom Stark.
- Born in Santa Marta, Colombia, ahead Jesús Ferreira may have the possibility to play in opposition to the nation of his beginning when the USA faces Los Cafeteros on Jan. 28 in Carson, Calif.
BACK TO LA
After the condensed World Cup qualifying schedule featured three Octagonal matches for the USMNT throughout January/February 2022, the USA returns to the passionate soccer group within the Los Angeles space to launch its four-year run as much as internet hosting the world’s greatest sporting occasion – the 2026 FIFA World Cup – alongside Canada and Mexico.
The USMNT has performed in California 115 instances, greater than some other state, with 44 of these matches going down in Carson and Los Angeles. USA-Serbia marks the USMNT’s first recreation at LAFC’s BMO Stadium, whereas the U.S. is 12-2-3 at Dignity Well being Sports activities Park all-time and 11-8-9 in matches performed in Los Angeles correct. SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif. is one among 11 U.S. host venues for the 2026 World Cup.
- Saturday marks the twenty first assembly all-time between the USMNT and Colombia with the USA posting a 3-13-4 document.
- All three of the U.S. victories in opposition to Colombia have are available Southern California, most just lately a 3-0 win in Fullerton on March 9, 2005.
- The nations final clashed in a global pleasant on Oct. 11, 2018 in Tampa, Fla. Midfielder Kellyn Acosta netted his second worldwide purpose to attract the USA even at 1-1 early within the second half. Ahead Tim Weah additionally recorded his first worldwide help.
- The USA and Colombia additionally confronted off twice within the 2016 Copa America Centenario, a 2-0 group stage defeat in Santa Clara, Calif. and a 1-0 loss within the third-place match in Glendale, Ariz.
- CONMEBOL and Concacaf just lately introduced that the 2024 Copa America will once more be held in the USA.
- One of many USMNT’s most memorable World Cup victories got here in opposition to Colombia in Southern California in the course of the 1994 World Cup, a 2-1 win on the Rose Bowl in Pasadena that includes a purpose from U.S. Soccer Sporting Director Earnie Stewart.
COLOMBIA ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB/COUNTRY; CAPS/GOALS)
GOALKEEPERS (2): José Chunga (Alianza Petrolera; 2/0), Álvaro Montero (Millonarios; 3/0)
DEFENDERS (7): Frank Fabra (Boca Juniors/ARG; 26/1), Junior Hernández (Deportes Tolima; 0/0) Nicolás Hernández (Athletico Paranaense/BRA; 0/0), Andrés Lilnás (Millionarios; 2/0), Juan David Mosquera (Portland Timbers/USA; 0/0), Alexis Pérez (Giresunspor/TUR), Andrés Reyes (New York Purple Bulls/USA; 0/0)
MIDFIELDERS (5): Jorman Campuzano (Giresunspor/TUR; 2/0), Kevin Castaño (Águilas Doradas; 0/0), Daniel Cataño (Millionarios; 0/0) Daniel Ruiz (Millionarios; 0/0), Yilmar Velasquez (Deportivo Pereira; 0/0)
FORWARDS (6): Christian Arango (LAFC/USA; 1/0), Dylan Borrero (New England Revolution/USA; 0/0), Didier Cambindo (Independiente Medellín; 0/0), Cucho Hernández (Columbus Crew/USA; 2/2), Santiago Moreno (Portland Timbers/USA; 1/0), Diego Valoyes (Talleres/ARG; 3/0)
IN FOCUS: COLOMBIA
- Colombia narrowly missed out on qualification for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, ending only one level behind Peru for CONMEBOL’s inter-confederation playoff berth and three factors behind Ecuador for the fourth and last automated qualifying spot.
- 9 of Colombia’s 20 gamers compete domestically within the Categoría Primera A, together with present chief Millonarios. The opposite gamers are primarily based within the U.S. (six), Argentina and Turkey (two every) and Brazil (one).
- Defender David Mosquera and ahead Santiago Moreno are teammates with U.S. midfielder Eryk Williamson on the Portland Timbers.
- Ahead Christian Arango and U.S. midfielder Kellyn Acosta lifted the 2022 MLS Cup along with LAFC.
- Defender Andrés Reyes performs alongside defender John Tolkin with the New York Purple Bulls, ahead Dylan Borrero is teammates with defender DeJuan Jones at New England Revolution and ahead Cucho Hernández performs with midfielder Aidan Morris on the Columbus Crew.
- Eleven gamers in Los Cafeteros’ squad are searching for their worldwide debut in opposition to the U.S. Defender Frank Fabra’s 26 caps lead Colombia.
- Head coach Nestór Lorenzo took the helm of Colombia in July 2022 following its unsuccessful World Cup qualifying marketing campaign. He’s an undefeated 3-0-0 in his first three matches, all performed in the USA.
- Lorenzo beforehand served as an assistant for Colombia from 2012-19. He took cost of Los Cafeteros after his first head teaching job at Melgar in Peru.
- A former Argentina worldwide, Lorenzo loved a prolonged taking part in profession in Argentina, Italy and England.