Twitter CEO Elon Musk insulted the intelligence of Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) in a now-deleted tweet after the lawmaker accused him of participating in hypocrisy over free speech points on the platform following Musk’s suspension of a number of journalists.
Schiff, the outgoing chairman of the Home Intelligence Committee, tweeted, “Elon Musk calls himself a free speech absolutist, to justify turning a blind eye to hatred and bigotry on Twitter. However when journalists report unfavorable information, they’re banned with out warning.”
Schiff concluded, “The devotion to free speech is seemingly not that absolute. However the hypocrisy is.” That prompted Musk to retort, “Fortunately, you lose your chairmanship very quickly. Your mind is simply too small.” Musk later deleted the tweet.
ELON MUSK SAYS JOURNALISTS ‘THINK THEY’RE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE’ AMID SUSPENSION CONTROVERSY
Twitter suspended the accounts of a number of journalists in current days who shared details about Musk’s location, significantly his personal jet, following an incident during which one of many billionaire’s kids was stalked.
Musk defined in a tweet that, “Actual-time posting of another person’s location violates doxxing coverage, however delayed posting of places are okay.”
The Twitter CEO later performed a ballot of customers asking them to weigh in on the controversy and whether or not the journalists who posted such data ought to be reinstated or stay suspended.
The ballot closed with 59% of respondents calling for the suspended journalists to be allowed to return “now” with the remaining 41% of respondents preferring they serve a 7-day suspension.
ELON MUSK WARNED BY EUROPEAN COMMISSION OFFICIAL: ‘THERE ARE RED LINES’
After the ballot ended Friday evening Musk tweeted that the suspended journalists could be allowed to return, “The folks have spoken. Accounts who doxxed my location can have their suspension lifted now.”
This is not the primary contentious back-and-forth between Schiff and Musk.
Shortly after the group of traders led by Musk bought Twitter and took it personal, Schiff alleged in a tweet that, “On Elon Musk’s Twitter:- Slurs in opposition to Black folks have tripled – Slurs in opposition to girls are up 33% – Slurs in opposition to Jewish persons are up 61% – And slurs in opposition to homosexual man are up 58%”.
Musk replied, “False, hate speech impressions are literally down by ⅓ for Twitter now vs previous to acquisition.”
MCCARTHY VOWS TO REMOVE SWALWELL, SCHIFF, OMAR FROM HOUSE COMMITTEES
Schiff’s time on the helm of the intelligence committee is dwindling as Republicans are poised to take the Home majority when the brand new Congress begins on January third.
GOP leaders have lengthy signaled their intentions to take away Schiff from the committee, which might forestall him from remaining as the highest Democratic lawmaker on the panel as he would however for his possible banishment from the position by the GOP majority.
ELON MUSK’S TWITTER IS ‘AS MUCH OF AN OPPORTUNITY AS A THREAT’: WASH POST SAYS NEWS OUTLETS CAN’T QUIT SITE
Home Minority Chief Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is looking for to change into Speaker of the Home and pledged over two years in the past to take away Schiff from the intelligence committee when the GOP took the Home majority.
In a current look on “Sunday Morning Futures” with Maria Bartiromo, he reiterated that promise: “You’ve Adam Schiff, who lied to the American public again and again – we won’t enable him to be on the Intel Committee”.
GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE
Schiff has regularly sparred with Republicans lately. He claimed there was “direct proof” of collusion between Russia and former President Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential marketing campaign. Particular Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe and committee transcripts of Schiff’s investigation later revealed that prime Obama administration officers had no proof of the alleged collusion.
Schiff led the Democratic impeachment managers throughout Trump’s first impeachment and presently serves on the Choose Committee to Examine the January sixth Assault on the U.S. Capitol.