That is My Phrase™ marketing campaign points nationwide name to motion for earlier prognosis and remedy to deal with the disproportionate affect of a number of myeloma amongst at-risk communities
HORSHAM, Pa., March 2, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — The Janssen Pharmaceutical Firms of Johnson & Johnson introduced in the present day the launch of That is My Phrase™ to boost consciousness of and assist to drive higher well being outcomes for a number of myeloma amongst at-risk populations. A nationwide marketing campaign bringing collectively trusted voices amongst Black communities, together with these susceptible to a number of myeloma, care companions, healthcare professionals, advocacy teams and award-winning radio host and comic D.L. Hughley, That is My Phrase™ goals to be a supply of each info and hope by sharing sources particularly for Black sufferers and their care companions about this uncommon blood most cancers.
Delays in prognosis and remedy initiation, in addition to unequal entry to newer and extra superior medicines, are a part of the difficult actuality that creates vital well being disparities in a number of myeloma.1
- Annually, roughly 35,000 persons are recognized with a number of myeloma in the USA, and greater than 20 % of all instances happen in Black individuals, with instances on the rise.2,3
- A number of myeloma is commonly recognized in individuals over the age of 60 years, however Black persons are usually recognized 5-10 years earlier.2,4
- Whereas Black sufferers are much less prone to have extra aggressive illness, they’re twice as prone to die from a number of myeloma as a result of it’s typically undetected till it has progressed to extra superior levels.1,3
- But, research present that with early prognosis, early remedy initiation, and equal entry to care, Black sufferers can obtain higher outcomes.5
Comic and award-winning radio host D.L. Hughley is partnering with Janssen to empower Black communities with info and encourage higher self-advocacy for his or her well being. Hughley’s private expertise with most cancers, together with his father and sister, motivated him to take his personal well being significantly a few years in the past.
“Most cancers has touched so many people, however we’d like larger consciousness of ailments which are disproportionately affecting and killing Black individuals, like a number of myeloma,” mentioned D.L. Hughley. “I’m so impressed by people who find themselves residing with this illness and who’ve turn out to be actively concerned of their well being selections, caregivers who’ve skilled unimaginable loss but push on, and healthcare professionals who’re serving to to deal with the advanced relationship that our neighborhood has with the healthcare system. I’m honored to work in partnership with the Black neighborhood via That is My Phrase™ to boost consciousness of important info and encourage motion in a means that may doubtlessly save lives.”
Janssen continues to associate with the Worldwide Myeloma Basis (IMF), which is equally passionate in combating healthcare disparities in a number of myeloma. Collectively, Janssen and the IMF are encouraging individuals to make A number of Myeloma Guarantees, or pledges, to decide to studying extra about a number of myeloma and be proactive with their well being to assist catch it early and deal with it, which hopefully will result in higher well being outcomes. Janssen will donate one greenback to the IMF, as much as $50,000, for every promise made via the marketing campaign at @thatsmywordMM on Fb and Instagram.
“A number of myeloma is simply too typically nonetheless recognized late or stays undiagnosed altogether in Black communities. Whereas it is vital for sufferers to be vocal about what they’re experiencing, it’s equally vital that healthcare suppliers take heed to their sufferers to acknowledge the indicators and signs that assist immediate and correct prognosis,” mentioned Joseph Mikhael, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Worldwide Myeloma Basis and Professor, Translational Genomics Analysis Institute, Metropolis of Hope Most cancers Middle.3,4 “By means of initiatives equivalent to That is My Phrase™, we share a dedication to reaching underserved affected person communities that may assist end in higher schooling and higher outcomes.”
As a frontrunner within the remedy of a number of myeloma, Janssen believes all sufferers needs to be handled equally with complete most cancers care as a part of its dedication to eradicate racial and social injustice as a public well being risk, and Our Race to Well being Fairness.
“We launched That is My Phrase™ to vary the trajectory of a number of myeloma in Black communities, as a result of we all know the affect of well being disparities is exacerbated for people who find themselves residing with this incurable blood most cancers,” mentioned Tyrone Brewer, President, Oncology, Janssen Biotech, Inc. “We’re grateful for the partnerships we have constructed throughout the neighborhood as a result of no entity can do that alone. We’ll proceed to work towards a future during which improved outcomes are the truth for all sufferers, as a part of our mission to reimagine care in order that sufferers can redefine residing.”
To become involved, observe the dialog on social media utilizing the hashtags #ThatsMyWordMM and #MMPromise.
Concerning the Janssen Pharmaceutical Firms of Johnson & Johnson
At Janssen, we’re making a future the place illness is a factor of the previous. We are the Pharmaceutical Firms of Johnson & Johnson, working tirelessly to make that future a actuality for sufferers in every single place by combating illness with science, enhancing entry with ingenuity, and therapeutic hopelessness with coronary heart. We concentrate on areas of medication the place we are able to make the largest distinction: Cardiovascular, Metabolism, & Retina; Immunology; Infectious Ailments & Vaccines; Neuroscience; Oncology; and Pulmonary Hypertension.
Study extra at www.janssen.com. Observe us at @JanssenUS. Janssen Biotech, Inc. is a part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Firms of Johnson & Johnson.
- American Most cancers Society Most cancers Information & Figures for African American/Black Folks. American Most cancers Society 2022-2024. https://www.most cancers.org/content material/dam/cancer-org/analysis/cancer-facts-and-statistics/cancer-facts-and-figures-for-african-americans/2022-2024-cff-aa.pdf. Accessed January 2023.
- What’s A number of Myeloma. Worldwide Myeloma Basis 2022. https://www.myeloma.org/what-is-multiple-myeloma. Accessed January 2023.
- Disparities in African Individuals. Worldwide Myeloma Basis 2022. https://www.myeloma.org/IMF-Variety-Fairness-Inclusion-Coverage/disparities-african-americans. Accessed January 2023.
- A number of Myeloma in African Individuals. The A number of Myeloma Analysis Basis. https://themmrf.org/2019/08/multiple-myeloma-in-african-americans/. Printed January 2020. Accessed January 2023.
- Dong J, Hari P. Black sufferers with a number of myeloma have higher survival than white sufferers when handled equally: a matched cohort examine. Blood Most cancers Journal. 2022.
+1 (610) 357-3121
+1 (732) 524-6164
View authentic content material to obtain multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/janssen-launches-health-equity-campaign-in-partnership-with-award-winning-radio-host-dl-hughley-to-raise-awareness-about-multiple-myeloma-among-black-communities-301760099.html
SOURCE The Janssen Pharmaceutical Firms of Johnson & Johnson